Saturday, June 5, 2010

Speak no evil.


I went with Mom to her 30 year high school reunion back in 1999. One of the women I met told me that she never heard Mom say anything negative about anyone. When I was younger I remember sharing with Mom how a girl was telling me bad things about another girl. She advised me that it's best not to say anything mean about someone because the person I was sharing that with might wonder what I say about them.

Last fall someone said to me they couldn't believe how big a friend's butt had gotten. I'd only known this person for a few weeks and blurted out, "Makes me wonder what you say about me when I'm not around." I should have kept it to myself (like I always do), but there was no hesitation and no holding back. It completely caught her off guard and I was proud of myself for being so bold (even if by accident).

I'm surprised by what people say (about people they know and don't know) and especially when they broadcast for everyone to know if by blog, facebook, or even at the office. Again, makes me wonder what they say about me when they know I'm not listening or reading.....

2 comments:

Madelyn said...

A good reminder for us all....and what a virtue your mom embodied!

I'm reminded of that famous quote: Small people talk about others, Average people talk about things, Great people talk about ideas.

Erin said...

Yes! I know that saying...I can't remember where I first saw it (maybe at Eastman??) but it caused quite a stir in my brain about my topics of conversation. Thank you for the reminder