Thursday, June 3, 2010

Drill Baby Drill





Don't give me that shit. I am ENRAGED about this oil leak. What makes me even more sick to my stomach is that I feel like I can't do one thing to stop the problem. When the earthquake hit Haiti, a body could travel to help with the cleanup, provide medicine, food, shelter, listen to the people to see what they need for recovery. With this massacre I feel like my hands are tied and that makes the knot in my stomach feel tighter and bigger. How in the world are we going to stop the leak? How are people going to go back to fishing and support themselves and their families? How is the wildlife of our planet going to recuperate from the rape?

When Michael and I were driving to Maine for the holiday weekend, we needed to get gas and the first station we saw was a BP. Rage shouted out of me: Don't go there! Just because we're not in the Gulf doesn't mean we aren't affected by it or that we can't do something to show the injustice we're experiencing.

I hate, hate, hate that I can't stop the leak but what I can do is decrease my use of oil:

1. Use less gasoline. My car has been in storage since August; I walk everywhere or take public transit.
2. Use less plastic baggies. I limit the use of ziplock bags but when I do use them, I wash them out, let them air dry and then reuse them. Thanks for showing me that habit, Mom!
3. No more plastic grocery bags. I always get paper bags and then reuse them for trash bags (thanks again, Mom!) but now I will start carrying in my purse a light weight reusable shopping bag.
4. I am recycling all my plastic, aluminum, glass, and most of my paper. On Earth Day I blogged that that's the one thing I'm not doing that I should be and now I'm back in the habit. M's not as aware of it as I am, but I don't mind pulling out his yogurt cup out of the trash, rinsing it, and putting it in the recycling.

What else can we do to be less dependent?

1 comment:

jeniferkarianne said...

Great ideas! I am also enraged at the oil leak...although as history has proven itself, BP is doing more than any other company to try and do something about it. I want to boycott BP, but at least they are trying to help. Doesn't make the mistake any easier to swallow though!