Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My First Crush


My first Hollywood crush was Christopher Reeve. I have no idea who introduced me to Superman, but one of the very few VHS tapes we owned was "Superman IV." I know I watched "Annie" and "Wizard of Oz" more than anything else, but oh, Clark Kent made my four year old heart race. When I went to hear John Williams conduct the Pops a few weeks ago, they played his theme from "Superman" and showed clips on the big screen. It inspired me to watch the movie all over again and thanks to the Boston Public Library, it didn't cost me a dime to take a trip back to my childhood love.

When Christopher Reeve had his devastating horse riding accident, I found the address of the hospital where he was being treated and wrote him a letter. I received a hand written note from his daughter thanking me for the good wishes. It was really nice to hear John Williams speak at the concert about how much everyone enjoyed working with the young man playing Superman and how the crew saw a tremendous future for him. I might add that it was the horn playing in that theme song that made me want to play at age five. It still makes me want to pick up the horn. Love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nice Erin ..I can relate.. I also found it so ironic that "superman"
had this sad thing happen to him. Geez isnt it ironic that this is happening to superman... SUPERMAN. He's SUPERman. I followed him throught all of his trials and was saddened when his day was chosen. How cool to have that letter... give you credit on that one. and a nice lil "first crush"