Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Trip Recap

My trip to Boston was nice.  Boy oh boy do Michael and I love eating at Toro in the South End.  He gets to go way more often than me (obviously) but both meals I've had there are nearly unbelievable.  It's not complicated or weird, simply very, very good food.  There's always just enough and I find myself announcing how I could just keep eating (what ever's on my plate) forever.  Just thinking about it tonight is making me melt.

Our trip to Miami was very nice.  We had a direct flight from Boston though the people on the plane were a little strange.  I tried to snooze.  We had Peruvian food which was tasty, then drove on to our hotel: the Trump International Beach Resort.  Let me tell you, it was very, very nice, but by the middle to end of our trip, we came to realize that we would have preferred something a little more laid back and more low key.  We've always known that's our preference, but it's good to try something different.

Our first night we spent wondering South Beach.  Being in Miami/South Beach was like nowhere I'd ever been.  I really felt like I was in a totally different country.  We hardly heard anyone speaking English for one.  Most were speaking Spanish or French.  The Art Deco architecture was great to see and the people all around us were flexing their spending power.  I lost track of all of the Bentleys, Rolls Royce, and Maseratis we saw cruising (to name a few).  Thank goodness I had my fantastic, "Dressy New Look" Prada or else I would have been outcasted.  I was surprised by the overwhelming domination of Prada-carrying ladies at our hotel.

We met Michael's great aunt in Palm Beach and had a lovely lunch and better visit.  I really enjoyed her company, her stories, her strong opinions, and her eagerness to listen to what we had to say.  I wish I could see her more often.  We spent the evening wondering around the shops at Bal Harbour.  The stores were great, but I really hit it off with a lady who works at the Marc Jacobs store.  Michael was lucky enough to find a souvenir there too!

On Wednesday we layed out on the beach for hours.  Every day we were there the weather was a perfect 80 degrees, sunny, and just enough humidity to feel refreshing.  I spent time combing around near the waves, looking for perfect shells.  I could have layed around the beach and played in the waves for days and days.  Strange that I was born and raised in a completely land locked state.

Later in the evening I started feeling crummy and it only got worse.  When we got back to Boston on Thursday I slept and slept.  On Friday I slept and slept and slept.  I came down with a terrible sore throat and my head hurt and felt too sensitive at the same time.  I was just glad that I got sick on time that I had allocated away from work, and that I was conveniently around someone who would take such good care of me.  When I started to feel better, we spent time either playing rummy or watching movies.

Michael and I had a great time together.  I felt that I had been away for so much longer than eight days, but it was only eight.  I still have my sore throat but felt much better today than I did yesterday.

No comments: