Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Weekend Getaway!

I was lucky enough to be invited to spend the weekend in Chicago with Leslie!  A visit was long overdue, but we made up for it by having a splendid time together.  I can't even go into all the details of how I was a spoiled guest.  We talked and talked and talked over tea, meals, walks, and in bed; like two girls having a sleep over!  It was the best.  Too bad Dario wasn't there to enjoy the fun, but all the better that we got some precious girl time.

We rode the train into downtown and Leslie showed me the Marshall Field's windows.  I wish Halls, or someplace in Kansas City would create old fashioned holiday windows.  Hopefully someone does and I'm just not savvy to it.  We wondered in and out of stores and then met her parents (who I absolutely adore and always look forward to seeing) for a very nice Italian dinner in the 900 Michigan Ave. building.

We walked around Lincoln Square, right near Leslie's neighborhood and explored interesting local shops.  The weather was "mild" while I was there which made it so great for walking outdoors.  Low 30's, but that feels so much better compared to the 10 degrees it is in Kansas City right now.  She made the best breakfasts for me.  Saturday morning it was pancakes (from scratch) with fried plantains with yogurt.  Sunday morning were old fashioned muffins (also made from scratch) along with the best French Pressed coffee I've had.  I don't know what she's doing differently than I do, but her's is always so much better than mine.  It could be the bean grinder, so perhaps I should look into getting a better quality one.  I highly doubt it's the Starbucks beans compared to my Kansas City Roasterie beans.  I also doubt it's my runt sized French Press.  Anyone have any ideas?

We dreamed about living more conveniently to each other and creating festive meals for house packed family and friends.  Oh maybe someday we'll only live minutes away from each other again.  Until then, I'm glad it's an easy Southwest flight up to Chicago.

No comments: