Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Priorities

Last night when I got home from work, there was a man sitting on my front step mumbling something to me.  He most likely was homeless and it was so cold last night.  The wind was blowing hard, it had been snowing, and I was making a beeline to get inside.  I continued thinking about him; how cold and miserable it was outside.  I knew that if I gave him something to eat, he could come back, even harass me.  I risked it anyway.  I put in a sack, almonds, my last two Honey Crisp apples (my favorite!), a hunk of cheese, crackers, and two beers.  I got to the front door, he was there still but now there was another person with him.  I opened the door really fast and put the bag between them and went upstairs.  I got to thinking about people who are looking for their next meal, warm bed, where they're going to go to the bathroom, etc.  All that's been on my mind for the past few weeks is a Miu Miu handbag and how I need to practice my saving discipline.  It's such a stupid, frivolous thing to want.  But silly me, I still want it.  Think: perspective.

1 comment:

jeniferkarianne said...

That's very kind Erin. You have a good heart.