Saturday, January 16, 2010

Escape from Boston Part 2





Day 2

On day two we started out with breakfast at the hotel and then an espresso at Zibetto. It's a hole in the wall steps away from Carnegie Hall and very nice. It's a long, small space with a white marble bar and a barista. No frills except the espresso and coffee drinks are quality. I think we stopped by there twice during our trip and once at another hole in the wall, Fika.

Arriving at the MoMA, we were overwhelmed by all of the people there, so we look through the bookshop and decided to return the next day. Walking up and down Fifth Avenue was okay because we were still fighting strong, cold winds. We hung out at the Apple store for a bit to warm up as we awaited Bergdorf Goodman to open. The windows at Bergdorf's were a fantasy with the most amazing pieces from amazing designers. Exploring the store was fun and the people working there were pleasant compared to other places we'd been.

That evening we went to Le Poisson Rouge in The Village to hear Don Byron. Afterwards we made a late supper at Casa Mono, a Mario Batali tapas restaurant near NYU. We squeezed into a tiny corner to enjoy fun, adventuresome flavors.

Day 3

Our final day in New York, we woke up wanting leave for home in the afternoon rather than the evening. We made our way through the MoMA and saw a very cool Tim Burton exhibit. The downside: way, way, way too many people! There was so many sketches, models, short films, props, and illustrations to see. Somehow we were able to enjoy a few things though we were all packed in there like sardines.

We visited Vandoren so Michael could get some reeds and then made our way to Gray's Papaya. Anthony Bourdain seems to frequent this hot dog and papaya drink joint often, so we wanted to try it too. Michael got the Recession Special: two dogs, a large drink for $4.45. The dogs come with sauerkraut, but as I'm not a fan and I still wanted to have an authentic experience, I went out of my comfort zone and got it with onions. Like the corned beef sandwich, I paid for my adventuresome spirit the rest of the day with a sour stomach.

New York is full of experiences unique to it, but I was really ready to get home....to Boston. I am curious to know what exactly people think about when they say, "I love New York" or "I'm so jealous that you get to go to New York, I love it!" With the overwhelming crowds of people, filthy subway stations that reek of urine, extreme prices as soon as you leave your door (which is already priced sky high)...I guess it's fine by me, but I have no desire to go back. Did I mention I'm going there twice in February?

I heart Kansas.

No comments: