Saturday, February 6, 2010

Return to New York




Last Sunday we took the Limo Liner down to New York as the Boston Symphony Orchestra was performing at Carnegie Hall for the third time this year. I have been to Carnegie two other times: the first as an audience member and the second time was the next night as a performer with the Eastman Wind Ensemble. Interestingly enough, the first time (as an audience member) that I went was specifically to hear (my) Michael premiere Michael Daugherty's new clarinet concerto, "Brooklyn Bridge." It was February 2005 and we had been introduced once before but had not yet hit it off.

While I was sitting in the audience last Monday night I remembered that night five years ago, and wondered how many musicians in the BSO have premiered a solo piece at Carnegie. Further, how many BSO members knew that Michael has? Continually he inspires me.

So my second trip this year to NY was pretty good. We had a nice lunch at a quaint restaurant in the Upper East Side, Vio Quadronno and were able to see some friends from Kansas City who now are with the Chicago Symphony. I'm returning to NY again later this month for the Coterie market and wonder if I'll have any time to do more exploring...hope so since each time I go it's getting better.

No comments: